Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

advice on dealing with housemate who makes me uncomfortable and treats me disrespectfully?

hi does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? back in September I moved to a new city with a close “friend” but as soon as we moved the started hanging out with other people and acting like he doesn’t know me. I don’t mean I’m just jealous or anything I mean he literally acts like I don’t exist and if I say anything he pretends to not hear me and won’t even make eye contact. This is not a one time thing and has been going on for five months now he has not spoken a single word to me since we moved in. unfortunately I would just move out but we live in a really popular city and it’s super hard to find housing here and took me four months to find this place originally I am really hurt because he took it advantage of me and I spent months finding him housing just for him to turn around and act like he doesn’t know me. the people he’s been hanging out with are very disrespectful and misogynistic and have made me out to be crazy and overly emotional when I have every right to be hurt. also I’m not the first woman I’ve watched him take it advantage of and then turn around and call crazy. it’s been hard for me because we’re from the same hometown and I don’t have a car or any family support at all and I thought we moved here to help each other and he has treating me like i’m invisible. I understand that he’s not obligated to support me 100% but that was a miscommunication on his end and we should not be living together if he did not wanna live with me. 

unrelated to personal finance.

No, you should not be living with you nor you living with him at this point.

But he is your roommate.  If you every thought he had an obligation to support you- emotionally or financially, you are the only that had the miscommunication.

How did he take advantage of you?  He's paying his share, right? 

You didn't spend months finding him housing.  You spent months finding you housing. 

Sure, you have the right to be hurt. You have the right to voice it whenever you want.  And they have the right to call you crazy if you bring too much drama into the house. 

- it appears he is a guy and you are a girl.  You expect him to have the emotional development that you do.  That's not realistic.