Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

My grandfather was born in Argentina to Canadian parents, would I be considered a Latina even though I was born in Canada?

My great grandfather was raised by an Argentinian politician and his aunt as an Argentine citizen. They travelled back to Canada to visit and this was when my great grandfather meet his wife who was also Canadian. They had my grandfather and great aunt in Argentina, who emigrated to Canada in their 20’s because of Juan Perón. My grandfather married a Canadian woman and passed in his 50’s. Every other ancestor, as far as I know, was born in Canada and England. I also have a lot of Latin qualities that people on my mother’s side don’t have such as curves, defined hips, how I tan very easily, never burn, my skins on the edge of olive tone. I also have this deep connection with Latinx culture, even before I knew my grandfather was born in Argentina and have always felt like I was missing a piece of myself, which I feel is my connection to Latin culture. He carried a lot of trauma from having to escape Argentina and only ever shared his empanadas. He never really spoke Spanish and didn’t celebrate any of the holidays or traditions. I started celebrating them and I am learning Spanish to honor him as he died 18 years before I was born. I feel the most connected to him out of all my grandparents, all except his wife are dead. 

A Latino great-grandfather would make you 1/8 Latino.  Is that enough?  It depends on who you talk to.  You can certainly learn Spanish, which would honour him, although not be especially useful in Canada!  If you have the olive skin, and such that many Latinos have, that shows that DNA is a crap shoot!  In Canada, most of us do not worry about the labels we call ourselves; most of us are mutts.  If you wish to consider yourself a Latino though, no-one will stop you.  My mother was a Scot, so I wear a kilt sometimes in Canada.  It's no biggie!

• ?

Do you have a citizenship from one of the countries in Latin America? If you don't then you are not Latin American, imo.

I guess in the US a Latino/a is someone with roots in Latin America. Maybe you fit that description. I don't know because I'm not American.

Latin is about culture and language and not about any physical features. 

My grandfather was born in Mexico to Welsh parents.

I have been told that I am not a Latino.