Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Why are people so cliquey in the workplace?

It's not high school.

LMAO/ I once worked in an area in the organisation where I was seated to see everyone as they came in. Most people said hello/ Two people in particular would even stop and chat. After nearly two years, I was invited by management to fill in in a higher paying (to what I was getting) position for a few months. I was thrilled at the opportunity but also my two 'friends' would be working with me. It was only the second day when I realised they weren't talking to me - in fact ignoring me if I spoke to them. As it turns out, the temp hired to fill in on my (old) position didn't turn up and I happily volunteered to go back there - and then insisted I stay there. The team leader was a fantastic guy and kept telling me I had to go back/insisting to know why I didn't want to go back to the higher paying position. I finally relented and told him how these two women (!) were really nice to me for nearly 2 years but now that I was working alongside them, I wasn't good enough to talk to. He accepted that and let me stay at my original position. They never filled the other position. I was transferred to another part of the organisation 6 months later. I heard months later that the instigator of the silent treatment was let go. I still think nicely about that team leader for being a decent person and not 'rewarding' their vile behaviour. Cliquey in the workplace is definitely a reflection on management.

• Foofa

Some people aren't that serious about the job and haven't matured all that much since high school.

• ?

It is what it is, we 'never' grow up.   

It is what they learned in High School to expect otherwise is unreasonable.

because some people are shallow and fickle and focus too much on trying to impress certain types of people

• ?

some people think theyre still in high school

Some people don't mature.

Depends on the work place.