Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Do British people have their own profanity?

Example: I've heard British people say ( A )rse Bloody Hell and Wanker instead of using American profanity because they claim to pride themselves in being classy

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I'm Scottish, nearly all of our Scots words are either describing the bad weather, profanity or insults.

If we're talking about about the differences between Brittish and American then I've always found the habbit of saying 'heck' or H E Double hockey sticks to be utterly glaikit.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

they have just been around for hundreds of years longer than young nation of America so they choose their own profanities and not those from a divided society. 

• P.L.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Decent British people do not say those words. Indecent people in any part of the world might use those (or equivalent) words where they live.   There is nothing classy about using profanities, they show a lack of decent vocabulary and a lack of intelligence in some cases.

• 2 months ago

You bet your bollocks they do.

• 2 months ago

Sure.  Classy people do not use profanity at all, but each of us in our own countries have our own forms of it.  E.g., Canadian language is somewhat between the UK, and US forms, which includes profanity - plus, we have some words of our own.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Every society has its own profanity.  It's a part of the human condition.

• Adam
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Classy... Thats class. Google Chav and see how classy we actually are. Actually listen to "Son of a Charva" from DJ Spike (link in source). This is now classy we can be. Language evolves. Americans call a pavement a sidewalk, we call it a pavement. Yanks call a car boot a trunk. The bonet a hood etc. It's just the differences in language. However our swearwords are better but some of the best put downs i've ever heard are from americans ("You honestly make me doubt evolution" was from a yank, used that a few times)

• 2 months ago

It's not because of "being classy", it's because you don't realize how big the world is and assume that everyone is like you.  Only an idiot would assume that language would be the same in two countries separated by an ocean, heck, American English changes from region to region across our country.  Maybe you should travel outside your county....

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They had the language first... so I guess we would be the ones in a bollux

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The British pronounce tw@t correctly as well, it rhymes with cat and hat, not swot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.