Special K asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Latin Language?

I’m teaching myself Ecclesiastical Latin.  I found some ecc websites which have different accents than other ecc websites. I’ve been studying prayers. This is where I find the inconsistencies. Why? Ex: voluntas has accent over the “u” leaning one way and the accent over the “u” leaning the opposite way on a different ecc website. Another ex is the word nobis. Some websites do not have any accent over the “o” and some websites do have an accent over the “o”. On the websites which do not have the accent over the “o”, there are accents over other words so accents are used. Again, these are ecc websites, not Classical Latin. Thank you!

As far as I know, ecclesiastical Latin uses the Italian pronunciation.  Our high school teacher Latin teacher used to get annoyed at our saying "Veni, vidi vici" instead of "Weni, widi, wiki."  I prefer the Italian myself.

I can only guess, but I suppose because modern Italian pronunciation has been used by some in the Catholic church when speaking Latin.

When I was at school, Voluntas was pronounced like 'oo' as in 'look', not like 'u' as in 'luck'. 

Nobis was pronounced long like 'robe', not short like 'knob'.

Those are differences in the accents over the vowels. You can look up what the accents mean in a dictionary. I can never remember them. I suppose you would have to listen to the Pope to hear how it is done in ecclesiastical circles.