Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Is this sentence correct:

"While hearing her, I could sense her awe for all she had seen during that trip."

Favorite Answer

It's not grammatically incorrect, but using the preposition "for" after "awe" is the least-used preposition after "awe" and to many will feel awkward or even wrong. When I pulled a Google Ngram, I found:

one, using the preposition "in" after "awe" is twice as common as using "for" and means the same thing as using "for";

two, as I suspected, far and away the most common preposition used after "awe" is "of," using "of" after awe being 100 times more common than using "for" and meaning the same thing as using "for," and while some may wonder if "in" is required to use "of" (i.e., "in awe of"), my research clearly showed that is not the case and more often than not in usage is not the case.

So, even though your sentence isn't ungrammatical, its use of "for" instead of "of" after "awe" is most unusual and unlike how a native speaker would say it 99 out of 100 times. If your goal is to have the sentence sound natural and native, sound like how a native speaker would typically say it, changing "for" to "of" would accomplish that goal.

• Ben

"While listening to her"

Otherwise, that sentence is absolutely fine. 

She "listening to her" would make more sense.

It sounds a bit unnatural.

I would construct this sentence as: 

(1st meaning: The trip wasn't pleasant)

"I could hear her sighing as she told me about the hardships she went through during that trip" 

(2nd meaning: The trip was pleasant)

"I could sense she was in awe as she told me about everything she'd seen during that trip"