Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Is there a huge difference between spring onion and leeks ?

I am making a pie with chicken and was meant to use leeks but they were all sold out so I bought large spring onions instead. Is there a big difference between them when they're cooked? Will spring onions be an okay substitute? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Leek is larger than spring onion. Leeks have a much milder flavor than spring onions. Spring onions are an integral part of the Chinese cuisine whereas leeks are used more commonly in the Italian cuisine.

• 1 month ago

They are not the same. Spring onions have a stronger onion taste.  

Chicken and leek is good, chicken and onion..... Not so good

I suggest you use veg or mushrooms instead

If you really want to use the spring onions, then don't use too many

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes they will be a fine substitute, In fact I prefer them. 

• 1 month ago

There really isn't going to be much of a difference since you are going to have them cooked with other ingredients, but typically, to me leeks have a bit less 'burn' than a spring onion when you eat them alone, or in something like a salad where they would be raw and fresh.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The common Leek will be a bit milder in taste than a spring onion. And actually a leek requires more work-to clean the sand out of it. 

A large spring onion is sometimes called a Bulb onion, in that the bulb is quite large, unlike  leek. But also unlike a leek, the entire thing can be used, not just the white parts of it. 

So while the taste will be a bit stronger, it will not be as strong as say a red onion or even a Spanish onion. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There is a difference in taste and texture but not a deal-breaker, I would use the spring onion (not too much of the green) and sweet onion or yellow onion for better texture and balance (add) flavor.

• 1 month ago

Spring onions have a sharper taste than leeks. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.