Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 2 months ago

Why did we need a vaccine to put an end to this Coronavirus pandemic?

How about we just do the VERY SIMPLE things that we are advised to do- stay home and if you absolutely must go out, wear a mask and stay six feet away from others! My gosh, those are SIMPLEST things you can ever do yet somehow, it's too hard for people to do. So we have to go through painstaking process of vaccinating 80 percent of population to end this pandemic. Why couldn't we just do the simplest thing asked of us so we can end this pandemic without a vaccine??

• Favorite Answer

Some people don't care or they think the pandemic is fake. Some people think that they don't have to physical distance / social distance, if they're wearing a mask. 

I don't go out unless it's for essential things. I wear a mask and use physical / social distancing when I'm at work and when I have to go out. I don't want to get covid, I live in a 'hot spot' and I have been lucky to not have contracted it.

There's been 2 lockdowns in my area. New cases went up to 1100 yesterday, people from locked down regions, are going into regions that are not locked down. The second one has lasted since Christmas and might be over next week. 

Some thing isn't working, or some people just don't care about it any more. They may even think they can get the vaccine if they're sick, not in my area. They're only vaccinating people over 80. 

• Jason

The purpose of staying home, wearing masks, etc. was not about STOPPING the pandemic. You can't stop a disease outbreak like that. Those are part of a public health strategy aimed at decreasing transmission and slowing the rate down enough to decompress the health care system and provide time to develop a vaccine. It was never, ever intended to stop the disease.

No one developed immunity by staying home and wearing a mask. Ultimately, you need immunity in enough of the population that it can't spread effectively. There are two and only two ways to get to that point: Infection & recovery, or vaccination. Obviously, the preferred method is by vaccination -- because letting the infection burn through the population will kill a lot of people. But no matter what, the only way to STOP a pandemic is for enough people to be immune to it. Droplet precautions reduce transmission but they don't do anything to improve population immunity. They slow it down long enough for you to be able implement the things that *will* stop it. 

Source(s): Respiratory therapist and registered public health nurse -- RN, MSN, RRT, RPFT
  • Tavy

We have had 3 LOCKDOWNS in the UK. People still have to eat, so food production goes on, essential shops are open, transport takes staff to work at hospitals and shops. We all stayed home in March and the virus spread when it was over.

How simple your idea is,

It DID NOT WORK.

• mokrie

And yet the highest covid infection rates were among people wearing a mask and social distancing. It seemed it helped nothing.