Manny asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Is it possible for a cat and a parakeet bird to coexist in peace inside a house? ?

My friend and I are planning to move into a big house and be roommates. We have a small dilemma. He has a parakeet bird and I own a cat that is about to be 2 years old. I do not want to give up my cat to a family and he doesn’t want to give away his bird. Is there a way to train my cat to not harm or scare his bird? I’d be so heartbroken and guilty if I came home one day to find his bird dead from fright or dead from capture. 

• 7 days ago

You can train him but, never leave them unsupervised.  There's no reason why either of you should have to give up your pets.

Yes, with eyes on supervision *ONLY*, when the bird is outside of it's cage. And when neither of you are not in the same room as the bird, in its cage, that the door is closed to prevent the cat from getting into the room.

YOU, are not going to train your cat to ignore its natural instincts to be attracted to small animals and birds. And while you can condition they cat's behavior while you are in the room with it and the bird (caged or not), the truth is the cat is always going to be faster you or your roommate, and all it takes is a break in the skin by claws or teeth or scare the bird, jumping up to the cage, to kill it. 

So if the two of you are not going to be proactive, one or both of you should re-home the animals or rethink living together. 

• ?

Despite the fact that cats naturally want to catch and even eat pet birds, there are things you can do to help these species live together peacefully within your home. ... Keep Them in Separate Rooms - Consider placing the bird cage in a room that you can keep your cat out of.

I once had a very outgoing and friendly Cockatiel and at the same time, a wonderful cat.  I've no idea how this began...but Oly (the Cockatiel) absolutely loved walking around on the floor, and walk right up to the cat, spread his wings, place his beak on the cat's nose and say "hiya baby".  It would freak the cat and he'd run, every time.  There was never any aggression between them.  I always thought it solely depended on individual personalities.  I just got lucky (and so did they).  There evidently was some sort of bond between them.  Don't know why - I never encouraged it nor attempted to teach the to get along.  Loved those two together.  People could take a lesson.

I would never give the cat access to the bird, but they can be in the same house if the cage is secure.  If your bird's wings are clipped and it will stay on your shoulder, you might even take it out of the cage if the cat is not aggressive.  

If you want to let your bird roam or fly free, it will have to be in a room where the cat cannot get in.

I have had cats and birds in the same house, and have been successful, but as I say, never let the cat have access to the bird.  Also, cats carry germs that can make birds sick or even die.  So keep them separate.  

• TK

I've had both caged birds and cats.  They learn to get along after a while.  Secure the bird's cage so if the cat jumps at it or on it the cage will not swing or tip over.  I've noticed that the birds get very territorial and will nip if the cat gets too close.  

Keep doors shut between them when no one can supervise and a water pistol handy when in the same room.

If the cat gets sprayed with water every time it goes near the cage, it will learn to stay away.

• Raven

No, you can't really train a cat not to pounce on a bird, it's their natural instinct to do so. Not all cats WILL kill a small animal though. The cage needs to be placed where the cat can't climb or jump to reach it.