Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 1 month ago

realistically, what job would i have to get to be able to comfortably live in an apartment in manhattan ?

a one bedroom apartment in Manhattan with the city view has always been my dream. what kind of job should i aspire to get to be able to afford this type of life

• Lisa
    Favorite Answer

It is actually much harder to answer your question than you would think because, even in Manhattan, prices and lifestyle fluctuate.  There is cheaper housing and there is more expensive housing and there is astronomical housing.  There are bad neighborhoods and there are good neighborhoods and there are incredible neighborhoods.  Also, many people in New York put a much higher percentage of their paycheck towards their rent than in other parts of the country.  They then have very little money left over for good food or recreation.  Is that how you want to live?

I just went on to Zillow and did a quick search for one bedroom apartments in Manhattan.  The rents I saw included the following prices per month: $2,534 (400 square feet), $3,250 (760 square feet), $2,350 (600 square feet), $3,000 (1,800 square feet) (and this one is NOT in a great neighborhood), and $1,590 (600 square feet). These prices are high!  And I doubt seriously that most of them have much of a view.  I recommend you go to the Zillow site and check out what kinds of apartments are available.  It will give you an idea of what to shoot for.

There are hundreds of different kinds of jobs to choose from.  The ones that would allow you to live in Manhattan (without five roommates sharing one bedroom) almost always require a college education in a field that pays well.  Only you know what skills and training you've had.  No one else can guess.  If you are a young person who is still in high school, I recommend going to college and then medical school.  Certainly, with a medical degree, you should be able to afford Manhattan and live decently.

Hope this helps.  Good luck to you.

Manhattan is huge and has inexpensive one-bedroom apartments (usually in older buildings) north of Central Park, so getting one of those isn't too much to ask, even for $75,000 per year.  But a one-bedroom apartment in Midtown or a prime area?  At least $100,000 (just maybe) to $150,000 per year, minimum.

I live in a one-bedroom apartment in Midtown and it is on a high floor and has great views.  My mortgage plus condo dues and property taxes are about $6400 per month.  Renting is generally cheaper these days--probably goes for $4500 per month as a rental--and figure that landlords multiply the monthly rent by 45 to determine the minimum annual income required to rent a place.  It's really hard to find a one bedroom in a decent area for less than $2,000 to $3,000 per month, and often far more.

The type of job isn't as important as the salary, so you might get better answers by asking what the minimum annual income is for someone to be able to live in Manhattan.  

"Kind of job" is too vague.  An editor at a small publication doesn't make a lot of money, an editor at a large publication does.  So that actual job isn't as important as the salary that comes with it.