Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

Should I break up with my boyfriend ?

I’m 17 years old and a high school student.I’m in my senior year. I’m dating a guy who is 21 I feel like we are in very different stages of life. I have no clue what I’m doing once I graduate and he’s studying to become a mathematican. I can’t even relate to him at all. He constantly drinks with his friends and his vocabulary is more enhanced than mine. I’m still a kid and I rely on my parents to do everything for me.

32 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

yes

you should and if he has ny jhorts mail them to 2454 rams crossing way henderson nevada

• 1 month ago

In my opinion, I think you should break up with him. The problem is you're at different life stages just like you said. You're still in high school, you haven't even graduated yet! You think extremely differently at 17 than 21. College students and high school students should never have a relationship. So please, save yourself and break up with him.

• 1 month ago

You said it yourself: you are in different stages in your lives. That's not a bad on anyone, it's just reality. I do have to ask why a 21 year old would be interested in a 17 year old. That's quite an age spread for someone in high school. If you were 21 and he was 25, it might be do-able if you were both in sync, but still it could be a challenge. I recommend dating someone closer to your age and perhaps, first and foremost, check your school and see about career counseling. It will help you sort some things out about your future career, such as areas which you might like, and maybe just as importantly, things you should probably avoid. It will help you plan for life after high school graduation. You don't want to walk across the graduation stage with diploma in hand and ask: "now what?"

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A healthy relationship is based on effective communication and mutual understanding. If you feel uncomfortable in your communication and overwhelmed by the difference between the two of you, then perhaps it's time to end this relationship.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ya-Hoo
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Just let him down easy if you do. Just explain like you did here that you're the reason for the break up and not him.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

he should find someone his own age.  sorry but that is just creepy to me.  focus on college and what you would want to study.  of course, there are other paths than college, like trade jobs and even the military as well.  

community college is also a great place to go for undecided students.  if one is nearby, you can still live at home while taking classes towards an associates degree.  while trying other electives until you find your interest.  meet with a counselor in your high school to discuss options and see what's out there near you.  they are there to help plan for post high school life too.  

also, why are you dating him to begin with if you can't relate to him at all?  he could just be using you if that's the case.  

• 1 month ago

Yeah because with you guys being in such different places in your lives thats gonna pull you both apart anyways in time. You're still figuring out what you wanna do and he's already on his path to doing what he wants to do he's most likely already been at the stage you're at and surpassed it. Its better sometimes to end it on good terms before things fall apart on their own because the longer you stay the more attached you will be and the more its gonna hurt when you break it off.

• 2 months ago

I would jump ship, yeah. I mean eventually you guys will grow even further apart.  So just cut bait and find someone who is also figuring out life. 

• Blush
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It seems to me, from what you’ve shared, you may not be comfortable with this relationship.

And if that’s the case, yes you should.

• 2 months ago

If you have to ask, then yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.