Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Becca asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why is my dog involuntarily twitching his head and neck?

My pug is two years old. He had a dentigerous cyst on his right, unerupted canine on the right side and the cyst had traveled into his nasal cavity. I took him to a surgeon, who removed the cyst, and also extracted the unerupted tooth and a few more teeth. He is on clindamycin, gabapentin and carprofen. 24 hours after surgery he started to breath better. 72 hours after (tonight) he started to have this uncontrollable short jolting in a “no” position. He does it in his sleep and while he’s awake. What’s going on?

Update:

I called the vet and she said it’s all to be expected. He had a lot of surgery on his mouth, and because he was in pain and overall  just uncomfortable, it was his way of soothing that. He is much better, and healing great. No it was not “barkison” disease. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Stiff muscles in the neck can cause your dog to jerk his head in involuntary movements. Some neck problems are neurological.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First, you should be updating your vet every day.  Second, infection could have traveled to his brain or the drugs could be causing a neurological disruption.  Your veterinarian should have a better idea of what's going on. 

• 1 month ago

You need to consult with the surgeon as to why this is happening.  There are no Vets on this site, so there is no one to advise you.  This is strictly a Vet thing.

(c/p)  Why is my dog twitching and acting weird?

Twitching and anxiety can have several causes including stress, allergic skin disease, parasites, a source of pain, a behavioural issue etc. I would bring them to a vet to check them over and determine why this is happening.

Why is my dog jolting? - Wag!wagwalking.com › symptom › why-is-my-dog-jolting

https://www.google.com/search?q=Why+is+my+dog+invo...

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No idea however you phone the vet and ask immediately

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I'm afraid you must get back to the operating vet.   We can only offer guesses about what's now going on.   He appears to have been given antibiotic and pain relief.  All to be expected.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You need to call the Vet immediately - these could very well be mini-seizures.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

it has "Barkinson" Disease 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.