Becca asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why is my dog involuntarily twitching his head and neck?

My pug is two years old. He had a dentigerous cyst on his right, unerupted canine on the right side and the cyst had traveled into his nasal cavity. I took him to a surgeon, who removed the cyst, and also extracted the unerupted tooth and a few more teeth. He is on clindamycin, gabapentin and carprofen. 24 hours after surgery he started to breath better. 72 hours after (tonight) he started to have this uncontrollable short jolting in a “no” position. He does it in his sleep and while he’s awake. What’s going on?

I called the vet and she said it’s all to be expected. He had a lot of surgery on his mouth, and because he was in pain and overall  just uncomfortable, it was his way of soothing that. He is much better, and healing great. No it was not “barkison” disease. 

• ?

Stiff muscles in the neck can cause your dog to jerk his head in involuntary movements. Some neck problems are neurological.

• ?

First, you should be updating your vet every day.  Second, infection could have traveled to his brain or the drugs could be causing a neurological disruption.  Your veterinarian should have a better idea of what's going on. 

You need to consult with the surgeon as to why this is happening.  There are no Vets on this site, so there is no one to advise you.  This is strictly a Vet thing.

(c/p)  Why is my dog twitching and acting weird?

Twitching and anxiety can have several causes including stress, allergic skin disease, parasites, a source of pain, a behavioural issue etc. I would bring them to a vet to check them over and determine why this is happening.

Why is my dog jolting? - Wag!wagwalking.com › symptom › why-is-my-dog-jolting

https://www.google.com/search?q=Why+is+my+dog+invo...

• Maxi

No idea however you phone the vet and ask immediately

• ?

I'm afraid you must get back to the operating vet.   We can only offer guesses about what's now going on.   He appears to have been given antibiotic and pain relief.  All to be expected.

You need to call the Vet immediately - these could very well be mini-seizures.

it has "Barkinson" Disease