Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

UK Lockdown has made my son feel so much hatred towards me?

My 23 year old son isnt taking lockdown in the UK well at all and it's evident that he's struggling, but he's taking it out on me and blaming me for ruining his life.

Every morning he rants to himself in the shower about how hates us, and how we hold him back and hinder him. He says it's my fault why his social life is falling apart and why hes losing friends. He hates me especially as he can't go out after work, and says we should let him move out (he will struggle financially if he does move and it's a bad time to live out). 

He lies a lot and has no remorse for it- he lies saying he's in work or 'going on walks' but really he's going out to places, putting the whole family at risk. Hes tried to run off from home twice. One time he even signed an expensive rental agreement he couldn't afford, so I had to help him terminate it. 

Recently, hes become more vindictive towards me. Since Boris' roadmap announcement, he's been saying he wants me gone by June (as that's when lockdown ends) and resents me even more saying I ruined his last year and he can't live life with me in it. He wishes I get covid, and he says he dreads life. 

I honestly don't know what to do anymore with him. He hates me so much and I've tried to imporve my relationship with him but it's not working.

Sounds like he doesn't understand boundaries. 

Time to sit down to have a chat with him. Does he work? Does he pay room and board?  He takes everything for granted because, he gets what he wants without any effort on his part. When he makes a mistake, he knows that you will bail him out.

How can he kick you out of your home? I'm confused. You say he ran away from home twice. Just  let him go. If you have to, change the locks on your door.

You can't 'fix' him. He needs to experience life on his own to understand how much he is taking for granted.

give him more lollipops

• ?

maybe he should get some counseling

I would not be working on improving my relationship with him.  I would - and did - evict him.  His choice to be evicted and struggle financially was not my problem.  His choices were "be civil and stay" and "don't be civil and leave" and option #2 was his obvious choice.