Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do I pay the Georgia car sales Tax (ad Valorem) when registering outside of Georgia?

So I live in Charlotte, North Carolina, and am currently looking at a 64' Galaxie 500 in Atlanta, GA. Upon purchase, this vehicle would be immediately shipped and registered in NC with my local DMV. 

My question is, does this avoid paying the Ad Valorem in Georgia? I would much rather pay the 3% in charlotte as opposed to the 6.6% that is in Georgia and the last thing I want to do is pay both sales taxes.

Thanks in advance!

You would register & pay in the County & State you live in.

• Rita

According to CarsDirect, Georgia has a state general sales tax rate of 4%. ... Instead, the state enforces an auto sales tax known as the Ad Valorem Tax for vehicle purchases. The exception to this is if you buy a vehicle outside of the state, in which case you would be required to pay the state sales tax of 4%.

• D50

The tax, which Georgia wouldn't be able to collect even if they wanted to, is the least of your worries.

P.S. 64 Ford is a great car! I hope it actually exists and you're not being scammed.

• car253

I would NEVER buy a car out of state.   There are too many SCAMMERS out there.   You have no idea if the person selling the car is the real owner.   You have no idea if the car has a "clear title".      And, as soon as you pay this seller will disappear and you will never see them again.   And, there is a good chance it will turn out to be a piece of junk.     Don't do it. 

NEVER, EVER, PAY WITH CASH or Western Union.   Always pay with a bank cashier's check. 

DON'T DO IT !!

• May

"Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) became effective on March 1, 2013. TAVT is a one-time tax that is paid at the time the vehicle is titled. It replaced sales tax and annual ad valorem tax (annual motor vehicle tax) and is paid every time vehicle ownership is transferred or a new resident registers the vehicle in Georgia for the first time."

No, the GA dmv does not know you bought it and has no jurisdiction.  I would urge caution about shipping cars. And are you sure its not a scammer?