Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

How come no one calls me by my actual name?

People give me nicknames like they're my friend. When I correct them, they call me by the nickname again, but in a tone to make me mad. My name is Mary-Belle, meaning one name since it's hyphenated, not Belle, not Mary.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Some people see playing with another person's name as being clever or witty. You can't control others, but you can control yourself. The best solution is to avoid letting this annoy you and to seek friends who will respect your wishes and call you by your given name.

It is fairly common in the US to use nicknames instead of the formal and given name.  Not Robert, but Rob, robbie, bob, bobbie.  It deformalizes things, and is a way of declaring equality of value.  It is not Sir, Mr Jones, but good ole Jim Jones.  I have discovered that in Canada the tendency is the opposite.  The US side of the family called him Jimmy when little, and the Canadian side called him James.  James won out, living in Canada.

It is just a thing.  Lower the barrier.  If you insist on the full name, Americans tend to see it as being snooty, actually.  He won't let you call him Jim, he insists on James.  What a dick.

too many syllables for their minds to remember

Saying Mary-Belle is a mouthful, and two different words with different spellings. Easier to just call you Mary. Not really a nickname given because we are "friends", just for the sake of convenience.