Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

If you join military, can you keep your guns?

Air Force if it matters.. 

Update:

I mean personal firearms, and what do I do with them when I leave if I can't take them with me..? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you are based stateside, you can store a number of personal firearms in the base Security Force armory. The number of weapons that you can store can be limited by base rules. You cannot store any personal weapons in troop dormitories. If you are provided with on-base private housing you may be able to lock them up in your housing.

If you are stationed in a foreign country, you will likely not be able to import any personal weapons into that foreign country and you will have to store them in the US at your own expense -- or dispose of them.

• 1 month ago

Yes.   However if you live in the barracks you will have to store them in the armory.   If you are married and live in base housing then you might get to keep them if you keep them locked up.   If you live off base it is none of their business. 

• Jason
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Personal firearms will need to be stored. You can't have them in the dorms/on base. I've been out for several years so I don't know if the policy has changed, but at least when I was in you could register your firearms with Security Forces and they had some limited storage available. The degree to which that was available depended on the base. Some just don't have the personnel and facilities to offer that. 

• PIE
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Not on base!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Military Personnel in the Air Force DO NOT get issued Weapons unless your on the Security Force or a special job that requires you to have one.  And NO you don't get to keep it.  You turn it back in at the End of your work shift.

If your talking about personnel Weapons,  there not allowed.

• 1 month ago

You are not required to get rid of any guns you own when you enlist.

You don't become the owner of any guns issued by the military.

• 1 month ago

First of all, do you mean the ones you own, privately which you bought and are for your own use, and which you wouldn't be using in your military role?  I assume you don't want to know if you get to keep any the military issues to you while serving.

I ask because I would THINK that those two areas of your life are separate, and shouldn't have any bearing on each other.

IMO, it is two separate areas., and you should be able to do that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.