During the Vietnam war, what would have happened if a draftee was drafted , refused to go, sent to prison , was released, then went to north?

then he went to north Vietnam, and joined their army and fought for the north and against the u.s. military killing Americans in uniform, 

1. What would have happened if he stayed in Vietnam and lived there as his home

2. He returned to the USA to live

• Zirp

Well, if I were to join a foreign army without the permission of my country's parlement, I'd lose the nationality and might not be allowed back into my native country