mariq asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

Which way to move microscope slide?

Hello! I have a quick microscope questions. If I have a specimen on a slide and it’s moving towards me/swimming towards me. It’s moving away from the group. Should I move the slide towards me or away from me to see the group again?

• oyubir
    Favorite Answer

Moving the slide toward you is like moving the "camera" from you.

So if you want to track something that is moving toward you (as I understand you want to do. Not sure tho. Because I don't know what is the "group" you are talking about) you need to move the slide from you.

BUT, most microscope, at least optical ones, have a reversed optics. So what seems to be moving toward you is in reality moving from you.

So, my bet would be that you need to pull the slide toward you if you want to keep  the image centered on something that appears to be moving toward you.