Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

What’s the right choice ?

I’m a 22 year old community college student and I am living with my parents at the moment. I was thinking about moving out soon and my parents told me it’s not necessary because my college is only 15 minutes away. They were telling me I should wait until I go off to college and get an apartment. What do you think? Would it be a waste of money? 

Rent is not cheap, so save for as long as you can before having to make that move.

• MS

Yes, that sounds like it would be a waste of money.  If you can live at home for free and easily commute to school, then don't give that up.  You will definitely want to save what money you can for when you need to pay for housing.

If you are living at home rent-free and only 15-minutes from your community college, it would be a waste of money to rent an apartment at this time.  After all, you're plenty close to attend whatever is actually happening in-person, and there really is not going to be any social life for the time being.

Assuming that you eventually transfer to a four-year university father away, that would be the time to incur the expense of an apartment.

• ?

You already ARE in college. Dies your community college offer bachelors degree programs. Many community colleges DO offer bachelors degree programs. If you move out. WHO will be paying the rent or lease, you or one or both of your parents? Whether they feel that is waste of money for THEM or an investment in YOUR future is up to them to decide. You may not be emotionally mature enough to move out. 

I didn't move into a dorm on campus until midterm of the fall semester of my first senior year. My mother had died 5 months before. For me and my father it was 45 minute to over an hour commute for him to take me to the uptown Tulane campus and then go to the downtown medical school campus.  I did not have a driver's license yet. I've been a type 1 diabetic  My mother would not let me move on campus. My father was wise enough to know I had to live in dormitories if I was ever going to have anything close to. a normal life. He was willing to pay my dorm fees and tuition and my apartment rent and leases once I graduated from Tulane. I did come back to Tulane for a second bachelors degree after spending a year at the University of Arizona in Tucson. That continued when I set up a new home when I started graduate school at the University of Oklahoma. It's 40 years later and I am in my 7th apartment in Norman. My father died 25 years ago. 

Do your parents expect grand children.? Are they dictating your major or degree program or trying to relive their lives through you and correct their mistakes If not, you are VERY lucky. I didn't leave home. I set up a new home. You can't go home when the person or people who made it safe secure place for you are no longer there.  Apartments aren't really home,  for  I don't want the responsibility of maintaining even a small yard, which I had to do for over 14 years when I lived in 2 duplexes in the same complex. I was burned out of 1 duplex. 

There is always risk in any decision. YOUR parents are not always going to be there.

hopefully, you are 'going off to college' soon.

it's a waste of money, but if your grades are suffering or they're making you absolutely insane, you can ask about getting a roommate and sharing expenses with them

Definitely a waste of money if you are that close to your college. Why would you pay the extra when you don't have to? Especially if your parents are paying for you.

yes a big waste of money.