Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

which one am i supposed to read first tom sawyer or huckleberry finn?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Absolutely! I read Huck Finn before reading Tom Sawyer and there were a few allusions to Tom Sawyer but they didn't affect Huck Finn's adventure.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" was published earlier and is the easier read. Most people read that one first.   

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You are supposed to tackle them both at once, reading alternate chapters....

No. You can read which ever one you like first.

When did they ban capital letters, by the way?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Tom Sawyer was written first, but it's quite possible to read Huckleberry Finn and understand it without having read Tom Sawyer first.

Source: I read Huckleberry Finn in high school without reading Tom Sawyer first. Also if I recall correctly, Mark Twain himself said at the beginning of Huckleberry Finn that it wasn't necessary to read both.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Read Tom Sawyer first. 

It sets up the scenario for the later Huckleberry Finn book.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.