Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

how do you clean a microscope that has spots?

bought a microscope off craiglist , it works fine other than the fact that the lens have spots on it when I see through it, I tried cleaning them with alcohol but the spots are still there, whats the proper way to get rid of these spots. im sespecting that maybey these spots are calcium deposits since we have an issue with hardwater in this area but im apprehensive to apply vinager to get rid of them to such a sensative instrucment.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

There is a chance that the spots are not on the objective lenses.  The condenser lens and the inside of the ocular cylinders have dust on them also.

• 2 months ago

First, identify the exact location of the spot. If it is on the outside of the lens, try the vinegar on a cotton swab. It may take several applications to clear it. If it is on the inside of an objective lens, it is probably dust and can be blown off or removed with a soft brush. If the problem is on the outside of the objective lens, it could be from racking down too far and touching a temporary mount. If you can, contact the seller to find out what the goop could be. You might need something semi-exotic, like xylene, to remove it.

• 2 months ago

Alcohol should take them off. My guess is that it's the part of the lens that you cannot access that has the spots.  Which may be why it was for sale.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.