Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

ENGLISH: Meaning of "big house"?

I've been told that "the big house" can also mean "jail". Why? Where is this expression used?

Does it originate from the US or the UK? Where is it used?! 

Favorite Answer

Jail is the temporary, local place you get put until your trial, or until you are bailed out. Prison is the place you are sent after trial to serve whatever number of years. "The big house" refers to a prison- so someone was sentenced to serve a period of time, which is different from being in the little jail. 

It's houses many many people. It is a big house with a lot of bedrooms.  Prison :(

The US. It's a  term for prison. State prisons are usually big. As opposed to county jails. The term was used a lot in 1930s gangster movies.

Another use was in slavery times. It meant the large mansion the master lived in.

Source(s): Native American English speaker. And fan of gangster movies.

It's American slang not used in the UK. Its first published usage was in 1913, but it was already understood as meaning "prison" (not "jail"), its etymology being unknown. Also, the expression is "the big house." While dictionary entries leave off the "the," the "the" is required because "I got sent to prison" is expressed as "I got sent to the big house," not "I got sent to big house."