Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 2 months ago

Will running at 6:20/km easy pace with a heart rate of 165-175bpm be aerobically beneficial or should I be running even slower?

I can sustain semi-conversational pace of 6:20/km with some easy-moderate effort. However this equates to a heart rate of Zone 4. 

Should I ignore the heart rate and continue running by 'easy' feel or should I be running even slower to get better aerobic gains in the long run? i.e. what if I ran 6:40/km at around 155-165bpm? Or does it not matter too much?

I really do prefer running at the slightly quicker pace as it still doesn't feel too overstraining but a heart rate of 170bpm is still fairly high. Is it possible that I naturally have a higher heart rate? Or still quite unfit? I believe my maximum is around 200-205bpm. 

I am 19 and an amateur runner. 

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.