Amanda
Amanda asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Does a babysitter/ nanny have a right to spank a child ?

So I am 50/50 on spanking. I believe for certain situations . So this new sitter tells me since it's her house , they do spanking here . I don't agree with other people spanking my child . plus she is special needs anyways so I don't 

No way is that acceptable.  DON'T use the babysitter.

Only if you have given explicit permission

• ?

It's legal for babysitter's to spank kids, but a parent can forbid it. Under the law, babysitters act "in loco parentis," latin for "in...

You need to find yourself a new sitter. Seriously. Spanking isn't discipline, it's ABUSE, and abuse is ALWAYS WRONG.

No, not really, unless you give her permission to spank the child, although I don't think it's right for anybody except the parents to spank your child. That's kind of like saying it's okay for a teacher to spank a student.

Yes. They can slap them if they are given lip. 

Don't trust this sitter. Her views on punishment for children are an indicator on how she may treat them when you are away. Especially for sensitive children, they need a compassionate babysitter who is able and willing to adjust to their needs. 

• ?

Hitting a child, surely, is far worse than hitting an adult. It is humiliating and disrespectful for both the attacker and the attacked. It also shows the child that violence is acceptable, even though it is illegal in most societies. How can it possibly be ok to hit a small child if it isn't ok to hit a large adult?!

No. Never.  That's simply ridiculous.  If this story is true then you need to find a better, more competent sitter.  No parent with any sense in his/her head would allow this behavior to continue.

Absolutely not, unless the parent agrees to it, and even that’s a gray area.