Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Amanda
Lv 4
Amanda asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Does a babysitter/ nanny have a right to spank a child ?

So I am 50/50 on spanking. I believe for certain situations . So this new sitter tells me since it's her house , they do spanking here . I don't agree with other people spanking my child . plus she is special needs anyways so I don't 

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

No way is that acceptable.  DON'T use the babysitter.

• 4 weeks ago

Only if you have given explicit permission

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It's legal for babysitter's to spank kids, but a parent can forbid it. Under the law, babysitters act "in loco parentis," latin for "in...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You need to find yourself a new sitter. Seriously. Spanking isn't discipline, it's ABUSE, and abuse is ALWAYS WRONG.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No, not really, unless you give her permission to spank the child, although I don't think it's right for anybody except the parents to spank your child. That's kind of like saying it's okay for a teacher to spank a student.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. They can slap them if they are given lip. 

• 2 months ago

Don't trust this sitter. Her views on punishment for children are an indicator on how she may treat them when you are away. Especially for sensitive children, they need a compassionate babysitter who is able and willing to adjust to their needs. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Hitting a child, surely, is far worse than hitting an adult. It is humiliating and disrespectful for both the attacker and the attacked. It also shows the child that violence is acceptable, even though it is illegal in most societies. How can it possibly be ok to hit a small child if it isn't ok to hit a large adult?!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No. Never.  That's simply ridiculous.  If this story is true then you need to find a better, more competent sitter.  No parent with any sense in his/her head would allow this behavior to continue.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Absolutely not, unless the parent agrees to it, and even that’s a gray area.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.