Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Is it selfish to end a friendship because they consistently blow you off but make time for others ?

When they continuously agree to plans and then make an excuse not to show up, for several months on end 

Update:

Let me add this person has been close to me for years and I’ve considered them my ‘best friend’ for so long, but now all of a sudden they’re like impossible to plan things with. I barely have anyone else to spend time with either 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Just do what you have to for your own sense of self-preservation

• Sparky
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Not at all.  This is how you know who your real friends are.

• 2 months ago

If they "agree to plans" sounds like you are the one always making or suggesting the plans? You don't have to "end the friendship" in any kind of confrontational or dramatic way, but stop suggesting plans with this person and spend time with other people instead. The "friend" who blows you off all the time will either realize they've been a jerk and try to meet up with you, or be glad you finally took the hint. 

• 2 months ago

Why would it be selfish?  They aren't that friendly towards you so it'll be no loss if you move on without them.  I wouldn't make a big song and dance about it.  I'd just be unavailable when they next decided to give me a bit of their 'oh so valuable' attention.  I'd say 'Oh sorry I'm just going out with my friends today.....thanks for asking though.  I'll be in touch'.....said with a huge smile.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ivan
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You don't really need to "end a friedship" over that. Just find some new or other friends to hang out with too.

• 2 months ago

It's entirely fair to end a friendship if you no longer feel friendly towards a person. Sometimes it's because they stole money from you, sometimes it's because the color of their socks embarrasses you. I think it's a good idea to try to repair a friendship if you'd like to retain it. Not always possible. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.