Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Are benefits just as important as pay? ?

I just got my first job offer since graduating college! The pay is really good, I need a job but the benefits are absolutely horrible!! Do benefits make a difference? My mom thinks I should take this into consideration since I have a heart condition and see doctors frequently. Do benefits matter more then pay? The pay is great! 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Employee benefits are more important than salary, because they provide better experience for employees and increase satisfaction. While salary is important, other forms of compensation, whether they be benefits or unique perks, can often be even more effective to recruit and retain talent.

• Who
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

there is no simple answer if benefits matter more than pay cos it depends on your personal circumstances

try to calculate how much benefits would cost if you wanted/needed to buy them and deduct this from the amount you get paid

In you case to get insurance to cover seeing the doctor and anything that could occur as a result of having the heart condition could cost you a hellova lot

If you werent single (I assume) then the benefits you could have for your wife+children in case of your illness/death could add a a lot to the "value" of what you get paid

(the total "Value" of a job with benefits = what you get paid+ the value of any benefits the job offers you on top of your pay)

In your case it could be that the pay is really good because its a sh//ty job and the high pay is to compensate - i.e Its not likely you will stay long enough to make use of the benefits it could offer

• 1 month ago

With good pay you can buy your own 'benefits.'  In your case, health insurance is the most important thing--you can always get your own life insurance and save for your retirement on your own too. I don't know how much any benefit is worth if your pay is good--that really depends on what you want and need. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You have to weigh them to yourself. Not the same for everyone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Benefits are part of your total compensation package.

I have never seen a company with "really good pay" that doesn't have a decent benefit package to go along with it.  Unless it's a small company under 50 employees.  And that's one of the cons for working for a small company but there are pros that go along with it.

What do you think are bad about the benefits? 

If you are going to say "cost" of health insurance, cost is meaningless when you aren't considering the actual benefits you receive.   A cheap plan may be cheap because it doesn't provide good benefit. An expensive plan may be expensive because the benefits are superior.  The amount the employer contributes is based on federal law if there are more than 50 employees (the Affordable Care Act)

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You should consider benefits as a form of payment. If a company offers medical insurance, add the cost of buying your own insurance to their salary offer to find the total value they are offering you. (And subtract tax: higher salary means higher tax).

Not offering benefits could also be a warning sign that this job is not as good as you think it is. Large companies are required to provide health insurance to full-time employees. So either they don't intend to assign you many hours, or they are treating you as something other than an employee.

• 1 month ago

Benefits are important.  But if the job pays enough, then you can use the money to pay for health insurance as good as a job would have provided.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you're in the US, benefits are critical.  Especially if you have a pre-existing medical condition.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, benefits matter, especially if you have a health condition or are older. Medical care can be very expensive! 

• 1 month ago

Mom is correct. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.