Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I had  a baby in 2021.  How do a receive  a stimulus  check  from  upcoming stimulus bill?

My understanding  is the irs looks at my previous  years  taxes but my son was not born  yet but was born  in 2021.  How can I let the irs know I have  another  child?

The bill passed  the house and will pass the Senate.   That is the reason  I asked  the question.   The checks will be deposited  very fast once the bill passes  the Senate.   Is anyone  knowledgable  on this subject?

Americans who give birth in 2021 will be eligible for an additional $1,400 stimulus check as a part of the new COVID-19 relief package passed by Congress, according to a Democratic aide familiar...

Unfortunately, for you, the new baby will not be eligible for the stimulus check as the expected payments will be based on last year's income.

• Judy

doesn't count.............................

• ?

As of no, you do not get stimulus for that child.  Rules for another stimulus have not been finalized yet.

Your check will be based on your PREVIOUS situation, not your present one. You can't "let them know" anything. If you did not have a child in 2020 or before, you aren't going to get the dependent funds. 

so you knew there was a pandemic, people were losing jobs, yet you chose to have a child while you are so worried about getting $1400?  i have not heard ANYTHING about 2021 babies being eligible....it would  make sense to to reward irresponsible people who chose play adult games they weren't prepared to deal with the consequences of.

• ?

IRS will not have this information until you file for your 2020 taxes.  Once you do file...........with the baby's name included, then they will know.

• ?

The details of how it will work once it's passed have not been released.  It's unlikely that you will be able to tell the IRS you have another child. They have other things to do.  It will probably be like it is for children born in 2020.  The additional stimulus is claimed on the 2020 tax return, so for children born in 2021 it will be claimed on the 2021 tax return.

To date, the bill that MAY authorize the next check has not passed the Senate.

Unless and until that happens, we can't even tell you how to determine IF you qualify.

Response to your update: There hasn't been a bill in your entire lifetime that passed the Senate in the same form as it originally passed the House.

UNTIL it passes, EVERY answer claiming to know WHAT will actually pass is a lie.

• John

The latest bill containing details of the third stimulus payment has not yet passed Congress.  No one can definitely answer your question at this time.