Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 4
? asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

what can i do about my neighbor?

I live in a subdivision and all the houses are the same and they have the same amount of land and have a chain link fence dividing the two. The houses have a slab foundation, crawlspace attic, 3 to 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and a kitchen and living room.

the neighbor next door to us, works at home, he hauls junk out of peoples houses for a living, and he has a landfill of garbage behind his house (beds, refrigerators, couches chairs you name it) It's attracting rats galore.

He has to have a person guiding him when he backs into his driveway because he drives a commercial truck with a very large bed, it looks like a truck that hauls new vehicles. The guide person is all the time over in our driveway directing him or on our grass.

What can I do?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

In my town, people cannot run businesses out of their homes, because the neighborhoods are "zoned" for residential, not commercial. Someone running a junk business like his would need to rent a storage facility or some property in a commercial area to store all his stuff. Part of the problem would be that he's driving down property values for the whole neighborhood and causing health hazards, but also large commercial vehicles put more wear and tear on neighborhood roads, and are not allowed in residential areas, where I live. 

Check online or call the local government to find out what laws apply to your situation. If you're in the US, you can try calling the police non-emergency number (should be a local area code, not 9-1-1) and they might be able to tell you what to do about the situation, and/or you might call animal control about the rats. If there's a homeowner's association or any kind of neighborhood management for your subdivision, talk to them, too. 

If you live in an unincorporated rural area, you might have to talk to county rather than city officials, there might not be as many laws in place, and there might not be much you can do, other than have a friendly conversation with your neighbor. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You should contact either the police, the housing authorities in your community, or city planners, or.....? He is in violation of zoning codes, surely, and will be required to clean up his act or face fines, even criminal charges perhaps.

• 2 months ago

Call the City Inspector's office or the fire department and make a complaint.  Your complaint will be anonymous. 

• 2 months ago

You can register a complaint about the junk and the rats with the city. If it's bothering you, it's likely bothering other neighbors as well. There is strength in numbers! 

• 2 months ago

Contact your city and file a complaint. That's a property maintenance violation and a health hazard. Your report would be anonymous and city inspectors will deal with the problem.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Beds and couches attract rats? Have they not more comfortable resting places? I don't know what a subdivision in in this context.

However many bedrooms you have, you may be best off finding out whether he is allowed to run such a business from his home. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Put up a private driveway/no tresspassing sign and call the city about the junk he keeps in his back yard.They will pay him a visit and have him remove it.The property is not zoned for that kind of use.My neighbor use to store old cars in his back yard.

• 2 months ago

I suggest a polite request to stand on the other side of driveway as he is damaging the grass. Politeness will work whereas a nasty complaint will not. And even if it doesn't work, you will feel better for having tried. Show some empathy for the problem he faces also.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.