Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Will auto shops allow this?

I’m looking to get a set of catalytic converters install on my car. I have the parts and hardware and pretty much know my way inside and out around the car. My question is would they allow me to give the technicians pointers and tips to make the job go as smooth and fast as possible without me seeming like a smart ***? I’d do it myself but this car requires a lift.

• F
    Favorite Answer

I remember watching a custom car programme a few years ago. They had a big sign in the workshop. It said,

Labour rate $50

If you want to watch $75

If you want to help $100.

I think that was probably aimed at people like you.

I don't think they would allow that and even if you do the technicians would get very annoyed and angry at you and mess up your car purposely just for you micromanaging them.

• garry

the catalytic convertor is built in the exhaust system , its been welded in , usually the muffler is replaced so its easier to replace both , unless your good an welding and grinding out the faulty on , you have tested it on an exhaust anyliser havent you .. its easier to buy a complete system . you are a proper mechanic arent you , or one of those so called handymen !!!

Are you gonna tell the doctor how to do heart surgery too?  The mechanics knew how to do it BEFORE you found it on UTube.  That's what makes them SMARTER than U.   Your car is just another jalopy they got to repair.

***Note if your mechanics don't know how to do this, then they may have the mechanic shop but they are bookkeepers(or gardeners)(or any other trade that is not a mechanic)(or maybe even "hand models") in real life.  They possibly inherited the shop from their now DEAD UNCLE (twice removed and planted)  IF YOU HAVE THAT AS YOUR TRUSTED MECHANICS, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.  They will only destroy your car and charge you by the hour while they do that.

Mechanics will take no advice from you. Few if any engine mechanics will put on a cat (it is basically a muffler)....If you know how to fix it then take the car home and fix it.  Mechanics do engine work.  Muffler shops do exhaust work. Auto electric shops repair alternators & starter motors. Tire shops sell tires and remove, repair and remount them and balance the tires.

You  do not know what other jobs they are doing "using their eyes and knowledge about the rest of the car to assess the condition of many things by just touching it or eyeballing it. 50 years beats what you watched in a 1 hour video.   They have forgotten more than you could ever learn & THEY ARE UP-TO-DATE.  Their source is the manufacturer's bulletins...mailed to them.

Not JUST the CAT job....but steering linkages, or shocks or exhaust pipe condition.  They have to weld on the cat....so it is a little more than just a lift.  Arc welding skills and pipe cutting to length.  Stuff you did not know you needed apparently.

Would you accept their advice if they came to your business and told you how to run it? 

Most likely not.

• arther

no one wants some know it all telling them what to do you will be told to go somewhere else. Jack the car up put it on stands and do it yourself if you think you can.

What is it that you can't do on jack stands? What you think old blokes did 40 years ago? 

WAHT kind of CAR is this that you have! IN WATERFORD michigan there are MANY shops that wil install YOUR PARTS! Thier PROBLEM gets into the FINANCEING arena and the RESPONSIBILITy arena! MANY SHOS do NOT want to risk doing a job OVER and OVER again for FREE should YOURPARTS not be as good a quality as what THEY can get! OR they want to charge MORE on the price of the PARTS to get more profit! They MAY einstal your parts but RAISE teh LABOR RATES somehow! 

Either you trust the mechanic to know how to do the job or you don't!

If you actually think you know a better way open up your own shop.

Two common signs I have seen in repair shops:

1. Only employees allowed in bays!

2. Our hourly rate is ______ if the mechanic is allowed to do the job his way. Rates rise in proportion to amount of advice or supervision the customer gives.

Maybe not those exact words, but I hope you get the drift.

If for no other reason then insurance, they won't let you in the shop area while working on the car.

That said, if you THINK you are CAPABLE of giving them pointers, you shouldn't be having them do the work.

Note: You not only SOUND like a smart ***, you literally CONFESSED to being one.

Note2: You can RENT a lift if you are actually qualified to do the work.

• Murzy

They will charge you extra to install it and not give you any guaranty on their work.

Try that and most places will tell you to go someplace else or they will charge you about 2/3 times, maybe more then usual for the job.