Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 2 months ago

How come people assume the earth is flat when there is no proof?

Show me any actual proof like a footage or photos that the Earth is flat!

A photo about what's under the disc world? Anything?

"seems" is not a proof!

Where are the photos?

Ok, so no photos then? I want to see the edge of the world!

Well, Florida is pretty flat. But it still has hills. The rest of America has mountains. So that proves it's NOT flat. What's wrong with people?

This was proven to be a globe using 2 sticks and shadows and geometry in Ancient Greece.  Maybe got the diameter wrong by 500 miles.  Using sticks and math. Google "earliest discovery of a globe"

If you live beside the ocean you can watch a ship SAIL away and the farther it got, the bottom of the boat disappears first  and the mast gets shorter until the crow's nest is visible until it disappears.(like it was sinking away) RATHER THAN the boat getting smaller and smaller and smaller the farther it got away but all of it stayed in view.  This did not happen.  If there was an edge it should IMMEDIATELY just DROP out of sight...not slowly sink away...or slowly appear as it approaches.

People believe all sorts of crazy things, even when the proof is right in front of them.  

How many moms still believe that surely you'll die (and don't call me Shirley) if you go into the water without waiting 30 minutes after you eat something?  How many people still believe you can magically catch a virus by walking in the rain?  

A superstition is something everyone 'knows' is true, but not one person knows how they know it.  And proof is easily disregarded, especially if it proves something you don't want to hear.

The best quote about proof was given by Johnny Crouton, former prime minister of Canada, when he said (and I quote) "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven.".

I hope that clears it up for you.

It is very nearly flat. fly in a plane and its flat as far as eye can see.

The bit I'm on seems kinda flat.