Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Which is correct:

a) "I walked down the staircase, but even IN THE MIDDLE of it, I looked back to get another glimpse of the building."

Orb) "I walked down the staircase, but even IN THE MIDST of it, I looked back to get another glimpse of the building."

Favorite Answer

I descended the staircase but paused halfway to look back for another glimpse of the building.

First of all, your use of "even" makes no sense.  You are making the sentence unnecessarily clumsy.

Difficult to be in the middle or midst of a staircase unless it has collapsed -  "I walked down the stairs and when I was halfway I turned to get another glimpse of the building."

• Cogito

"As I walked down the staircase I paused half way to take another glance at the building."

If you were 'in the middle or midst of a staircase, you'd actually be imbedded in it - you'd have fallen through it and were stuck mid-way.