Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 4
? asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

my computer made one single long beep, what does that mean?

when my computer was on for a while, it naturally turned off the screen, (it does this before it gets ready to sleep) and then it made a one long beep. 

what does that mean? 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The type of beep your computer makes when starting up is meant to explain your computer's status. One long, continuous beep generally means that there is a hardware problem – often memory related – that can prevent your computer from starting up at all.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It may be a sound setting you have set on you computer.

Used to be when you turn the machine on and it screamed bloody murder as it was not happy about something.  Maybe a couple of keys jammed together on?  I do not know.  It is sick.  Time to see a PC doctor. to fix it.

• T C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Beep codes are different for the different makes of computers...

I am more concerned about the beeps upon start-up....1 beep is normal for some at start up, but any sequence of short and long beeps may be alerting you to problem.If you do have a sequence of beeps at start up ...post again with make of computer and the type of beeps ....I would suggest posting in the computer & Internet section.

• 2 months ago

if it doesn't boot properly, check the beep codes.  they should be in your owner's manual or mobo manual

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It was very tired. That was your computer yawning.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.