Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

why is my mom so overprotective?

ever since i was 5 everyone was getting their own library cards and i begged my mom for one and she just said that we're just gonna share one with me and my sister you can get one when your older, so i just kept waiting and waiting and she still won't let me i'm 15 now! why does she think i can't have a library card! she thinks i won't be responsible with it but how does she know! i didn't even get a chance! and that's not it

in second grade everyone was learning to do chores and being responsible and i tried doing that but she was like your gonna get hurt your not old enough for that! 

why doesn't my mom wan't me to learn to be responsible and do things on my own?and she does everything for me even when i tell her to stop and when i try doing something on my own she gets mad at me and takes over, she's like your gonna do it wrong just let me do it! i feel like i'm not gonna make it in life and never learn any responsibilities and it just makes me feel depressed and wanna kill myself, so if your a mom why wouldn't you want your kid to learn how to do stuff on their own and just stay dumb?

maybe you should talk to someone in the library about it

The VAST MAJORITY of kids who age out and can leave home really have not learned any skills to do so. It's very much a "learn as you earn" reality out there. Once school starts up you can check out all the books you want from the school library. In the meantime, find out if there are free book stands in your town. Most towns, the Rotary or the Kiwanis clubs will sponsor free book boxes in neighborhoods and many used book stores will have free paperback books on tables outside their front doors. I would recommend that you wear a mask and wander into a used paperback book store and Ask how you can access free books. 

In the meantime, sit Mom down and simply wise her up to the fact that she's going to have to come up with something new to do with herself besides try to keep you a kid. Nothing either of you can do will change the fact that you're going to grow up. Just NOT YET. 

• ?

My mother didn't like that when I was 16 I took control of my savings to get a better rate. She didn't like that I was doing things for myself, also didn't like me not bring my clothes home from university, switching my hospital records to my local one, using the car instead of getting the train. Some just can't let go. Really it's their own personal fear that if they control you and your life then they will keep you safe. Now is the time to start growing your independence.