Can I get a learner’s permit in Georgia and then get my drivers license while in California?

I’m in a situation where I want my drivers license but I don’t want to wait any much longer. Can I get my learner’s permit here in Georgia, and then later, when I move to California, will my learner’s permit be valid there and I can get my drivers license? Georgia laws state that I have to wait 12 months in order to start taking the classes in order to get my license, however California laws state that you only need to wait 6 months. Will I be able to get it there?

Learner's Permits are STATE specific.  That means you can drive with a Permit ONLY in the State where the Permit was issued.  You would need to get a California permit and license when you are in California.  You could, of course, get your Permit in Georgia and get driving experience, but the Permit is NOT "good" in California.

• car253

How old are you ?     A lot depends on if you are younger or older than 18. 

Your GA driving permit means nothing in California.  In California you have to apply for the driving permit for California.    Then you have to take the driving test to get your drivers license.    

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-licenses-iden...

scroll down to where is says "how to apply for a drivers license" under or over 18. 

No.  When you move to California, you'll have to start over as a new applicant.  Only a 'full' driver's licence can be transferred to another jurisdiction, not a learner's or intermediate level.

When you move to California, nothing you have from Georgia will be valid there.  Licenses that are not from California are valid in California for visitors (I'm not sure about permits), but not for someone who moves to California.  Once you move to California, you must get a California license or permit, or stop driving.

• Scott

Nope. Your Georgia learner's permit is only valid in Georgia.  Additionally,  you have to be a resident of a state to apply for a license in that state.

• May

No.  Learners permits are not transferable

NO DUMBASS. You can only get licensed in the state where you hold the learners permit. You also cannot get licensed in a state where you're not a resident.

To get a California drivers license you have to be a resident of California.

The easiest state to get a drivers license in is South Dakota. Consider taking a summer vacation there. It can still take 180 days unless you take a certified drivers education course and then it is 90 days.

So you find a "drivers school" in South Dakota, get a learners permit,  take the course and in 90 days you can get a license.

• Ron

Nope. California recognizes no one when it comes to permits

You cannot use a GA permit in CA. You can learn to drive in Georgia then when you turn 16, you can take your driving test.