Tinting Windows New York?

I read windshield and driver side windows must let in at least 70% light in New York, but is it something heavily enforced? 

I'm in Washington State where the rule is about 24%. My windows are tinted to about 12% but I’ve never been pulled over for it. See tons of cars with heavily tinted windows around here. Is it a similar dynamic in NY? Will you get pulled over with 12% in NY?

Favorite Answer

Yes.  The police are VERY familiar with the amount of tint in the windows and they will stop a car with too much and either ticket you or give you 5 days to fix it, or face a judge, and a fine.