Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 2 months ago

Are used/refurbished PCs a good investment?

I need a new computer but have a tight budget.  

Favorite Answer

They are not the newest on the block but maybe adequate for you.  My refurbished XP lasted 15 years and then the hard drive wore off of its spindle.  The platters are spinning at 15,000 RPM so when it came off,it clattered inside the Hard Drive..  Just got a used clean hard drive and had it installed and configured to be seen by the computer by the shop.  My old information is toast.  So, I started again. Make sure it is Windows 10 O.S. and you are up to date.

Bottom line YES!!! I built a computer back in 2019 for less than $800 and it would go for at least $1200 in 2021 on today's market just for the graphics cards alone.

Specs:

$180 i7 3770 CPU 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM & Case & 1TB 7200RPM SATA (Free)

$20 120GB SSD SATA (I got a $5 SATA Cable for it)

$100 AMD R9 290X 4GB

$160 GTX 1060 6GB EVGA Mini (Back in those days the cards were cheap lol)

$220 GTX 1070 8GB Zotac Mini (Like I said, cheap)

$100 850W Corsair PSU

$100 Fractal Define R5 Case

• Rita

We'd say no, it's not risky to opt for a refurbished PC, as long as you do your research correctly and buy through a reputable company. Buying refurbished can be an excellent way to save a significant amount on your next computer purchase and especially if it's a 'open box' sale and essentially is new.

• garry

depends on your price some times its nearly the same to buy a new one , you do supply a warranty dont you , software , licensed xp , seeing you cant get a license for windows 7 , how about the cost of it out of your pocket , . who wants and outdated slow computer and a printer or the internet wont work?

• F

I went down that route about 5 years ago. After returning two refurbished PCs that didn’t work properly, I bought a new one, so personally I would not recommend it.

of course but it depends on the specs of the hardware!

nothing different between refurbished compared to new!

look at the type of hardware and look at the deals you are getting!

you pays you money and you takes your chances.  buying from a shop that does this regularly is safer, if more expensive than a private seller

Depends on where you get it from. A lot are ex-business machines, either owned or leased, replaced by the company because they want the latest equipment and not because there's anything wrong with them.  Normally a refurbisher will inspect them, format the drive, and test to see that they're performing as they should. You may or may not get an operating system installed - check that carefully.

Usually they're fine for "normal" use, but may not be the best for gaming etc. because that's not what they're built for.  Do some research on the proposed supplier and see what people say about them.

Most refurbished desktops you see at sites like newegg and amazon were used by business. Once the lease was up, the company returned these computers and got new ones. Then these 'refurbished' PC were reformatted and sometimes the RAM or maybe the hard drive was upgraded.

Sometimes these are worthless and sometimes they're worthwhile, just depends on what you get. If you have Delusions of Grandeur and you think you can turn one of these PC's housed in a Small Form Factor case into a gaming PC then you're wasting your money. The refurbished PC's that come in a regular sized Micro Tower have some room for upgrade though. The PC's with a 3rd Gen or higher Intel Core i5 CPU and a SSD with 8gb of RAM are decent and they'll chew through light tasks such as office work, web surfing, and Youtube. 

• WayneH

My first refurbished was an IBM ThinkPad in 1998.  I've been buying them since then with only one problem on another laptop.  The display light went out and I replaced it myself.  Aside from that I've had zero problems with all (I've actually lost count) my laptops and desktops.  Currently have one laptop and two desktops, all a few years old when I got them.  I think the best place for refurbished products is overstock.com.  

• Nigel

depends on what you want? update your budget brother i can share some good pc from ebay for you!