alex
alex asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Of the 600,000 men who illegally dodged the draft during Vietnam , how many went to prison?

many websites report 3,250 and many more report 4,000

Favorite Answer

It was WAAAAY more than 600,000.  I did, and almost every young guy I knew.

The Wikipedia article only says 'many young men went to prison' but I seriously doubt it was that many.  Might not have been anyone.  I and all my friends 'dodged' the draft by getting a deferment, getting married, claiming conscientious objector status, going to Canada, or simply refusing to go!  I knew three guys who actually got called up for their Army physical and told them they'd rather go to prison.  Nobody I know went to prison.

President Ford offered draft dodgers forgiveness for volunteer time.  The next president, Jimmy Carter, just gave them a blanket amnesty.