Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

alex
Lv 4
alex asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Of the 600,000 men who illegally dodged the draft during Vietnam , how many went to prison?

many websites report 3,250 and many more report 4,000

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It was WAAAAY more than 600,000.  I did, and almost every young guy I knew.

The Wikipedia article only says 'many young men went to prison' but I seriously doubt it was that many.  Might not have been anyone.  I and all my friends 'dodged' the draft by getting a deferment, getting married, claiming conscientious objector status, going to Canada, or simply refusing to go!  I knew three guys who actually got called up for their Army physical and told them they'd rather go to prison.  Nobody I know went to prison.

President Ford offered draft dodgers forgiveness for volunteer time.  The next president, Jimmy Carter, just gave them a blanket amnesty.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.