Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Hollyhock flowers - too late to cut back? ?

Old Hollyhock plant that has a thick almost trunk like base stem and multiple branches of hollyhocks growing from the main every year, once flowering is finished they have been cut back year after year after year. But last year tail end of summer 2020 they were not cut back and now the long stems have shrivelled leaves from the iced weather and wondering is it way too late to trim, should I leave them – which is best for the plant itself to survive even if it means no flowers this year.  I can still see some green leaves in a few patches but most died off with the cold. 

Trim late/Leave be? 

I would leave them. I have stopped trimming. I do it all before Christmas, to the give plants time to seal the ends before sap rises and new growth starts. Then I trim again in summer to early winter. 

Cut them off.  You will get new growth from the stump/roots.  Keep the green as warm as you can.  You should get blooms this year since the plant is well formed.  It is not the same as from a seed.