Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Why is the story of the weeping girl so sappy and unrealistic?

How high is the chance to meet a guy like the one that in the story saves the girl?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I don't know if he did "save the girl".  She ran away with him, giving up the education that could have led to a career or to a marriage with a man of the middle classes. She knew little about the man with whom she fled and little about where they were going, yet she made herself dependent on him. He had a violent temper, was possessive of her and "protected" her like a parent does a small child. He was also very closed-mouthed - not just about his past but about his intended future. She was so jealous of a woman who conversed with him on board the ship that she hid from him without telling him why she ran away. It seemed that she was afraid of him. I think that is reasonable, considering his violent temper.

Neither character shows signs of development through the story. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

This has nothing to do with books or writing. Keep your pathetic fantasies out of this section. 

• 2 months ago

The thing is, while a good man may feel sympathy and pity for a crying girl, and will save her from the peril du jour if he can, the fact that she's had a hard life and is helpless, with poor self-esteem, is not going to make him love her.

Love is dependent on two people getting to know one another at considerable depth and liking what they uncover at every level. Often they complement one another, his shortcomings her strengths and vice versa. (One of my daughters.) Or they may be very much alike. (Me and her dad.)

Your scenarios repeatedly have a girl with very little to offer a man and no suggestion they've ever had an actual conversation.

• 2 months ago

Not very.  It's so far from real life that the reader really needs to suspend belief. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.