Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Who can I talk to about my problems for diagnosis?

I am active duty Navy stationed in Charleston, SC. I’m married and have two children, both really young. Some personal problems keep holding me back in my career and are affecting the way I behave at work and with my own wife and children.

My wife and I fight every single day and my own children seem unbearable. Divorce would be an insanely complex issue to deal with and the prospect of intensive marital therapy seems mind numbing and almost pointless.

I think I have something wrong with me. Bipolar, major depressive, anxiety, something. I need help. I think about hurting myself on a nearly daily basis and I need help. I can’t talk to my wife because she just doesn’t understand anything and I can’t talk to members of my military clinic or people at work out of fear of medical discharge or specialty disqualification. These would derail everything my career has been working towards and leave my family without income.

Who can I talk to that will help me understand what’s wrong with me without getting my Chain of Command involved? I would like a diagnosis so that I can attempt to sort these problems out by myself. Any help would be appreciated.

6 Answers

  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    I've never been in the military, but my understanding is that this is a big problem in the military.  That it's hard to get help for things like this.

    I think you can see a non military doctor and still have your insurance pay.  Your right to want a good diagnosis,  A self diagnosis can be dangerous.  But... I bet you have depression and anxiety.  It's the most common form of mental illness.  So your not alone.  The doctor might put you on medication.  Don't be scared of the meds.

    Get counseling.  And join a support group.  There are some good online support groups.

    Of course your wife won't understand.  It's one of those things that "normal" people will never fully understand.  But still you should let her know what's going on.

    Go to youtube and lookup "mindfulness".

    Listen to music.  Music more then anything else will save you.  And make it a point to do something fun.

  • 2 months ago

    You seem very intelligent and you report your symptoms and problem succinctly.

    I have a suggestion:

    You are active duty, however you DO NOT HAVE TO INVOLVE THE MILITARY, your employer, in your search for a diagnosis and medical treatment. 

    You have CHAMPUS and you are at liberty to choose a private source of medical care.  True, if you go to a Navy provider of mental health, you will have 100% coverage.  But if you go to a private provider of psychiatric service, a good part of your treatment may be covered.

    By FEDERAL LAW, you have a right to medical privacy and even your employer may not be told anything about your care or what you talk about.  Remember, this is FEDERAL LAW called the HIPPA LAW and it applies to EVERY American citizen.

    My advice to you is to check with the county health department where you live and ask where the nearest outpatient mental health clinic is in your area.  They usually see people on a sliding scale fee and they will take your CHAMPUS.  They are staffed with licensed mental health providers.

    Remember that a diagnosis cannot be reached on a one term visit.  A mental health diagnosis is based on a lot of interviewing and testing.  It's not like walking into a clinic with a sprained wrist.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    If you think about hurting yourself, then it's depression and anger. Do you have too much testosterone? That can make you angry. You can't really sort it out on your own. You need some sort of medication. It could really help to stabilize your emotions. 

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You can consult a therapist privately. The Navy does not have to know.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    Focus on improving your SYMPTOMS. There is a lot of self-help on the internet for all this stuff.  Self-help only works when we work it.

  • 2 months ago

    Unless your job is simply a paperpushing job buying pencils, you are a dental hygeniest and people will have dirty teeth if you don't your job well, or something and has no impact on the actual philosophy on the role of the Navy, feel free to contact a private therapist and pay out of pocket.

    If your job involves even remotely national or international public safety, you need to work through the resources the Navy provides.  You are placing your coworkers at risk and potentially much more.  You gave up looking after only yourself when you joined the Navy.

    I wish you well.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.