Lee asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Is it reasonable for a parent to only allow their children to play two sports for time and money purposes?

Is it reasonable for a parent to only allow their children to play two sports for time and money purposes? I just want to clarify that I am not a parent, but I have to write a story and it has to be realistic. The story is about a middle-class family with 7 children in it who go to private schools. Because it has to be realistic and most kids play sports, I was going to incorporate the kids playing sports into it but make it so that each child is only in two sports so that it can still be realistic and not too chaotic. Is this reasonable?

• ?

When I went to basketball raining for the first time, I wasn't aware that such ... Most parents wish to encourage children to play sports to help them feel valued. ... Also, it is important to allow your child to discover and explore other ... So if you think that you need money in order to play sports, you are wrong!

• ?

Of course, they were always missing practices and such for on or another, due to needing to be at one of the other ones. Those kids, as they got older, grew greater dislike from their peers. It was not fair to the tea or the other kids. 

Middle class with 7 kids? In private school?  You are already in unrealistic territory.  Those kids would only be in private school on scholarships,  which might include one sport at a time. And nothing fancy like gymnastics,  I could see them in track and field, where multiple kids practiced in close facilities,  or ⚽️ 

Math, private school 20,000 per year 7 students = 140,000

Sports 1000per sport x2x7 = 14,000 minimum 

154,000 before food, shelter,  clothing, etc?? Not middle class.   Sorry to burst the bubble. 

Look at it too from the children's point of view individually and as siblings to make it within reason.

• edward

I was only in 3 sports a year, two of them in the same season, one of them year round.  It wasn’t a money thing.  It was a time thing.  I was on student council and i was in all the school musicals and plays we did.  I went to the (supposedly) best school in the city with (supposedly) the best performing arts program in the city.  I was president of the student council, captain of the swim team, co captain of the tennis club and on the stride team and a straight A student.  I also had out of school stuff going in every day after school and on weekends.  But like i said, it was not a money thing, it was a time thing

Forgetting all the other errors in your story - like 7 kids from middle class in private school (not going to happen - too expensive)

Limiting children to two sports or even two extracurricular activities in general is very reasonable since a child that is trying to do too many things will not have proper time for homework.

But - with 7 children - the family would more likely place a limit of one unless they also had arrangements made with family and friends for getting these children to and from various practices and games.  A family with 7 children trying to manage 14 different timelines for events just isn't realistic unless some of the children are close enough in age to be participating in the same sports or same extracurricular activity.

One sport per child is more reasonable - also - remember that band and choir are also popular.  There could be 4 kids doing sports and 3 doing band or choir instead of sports.  Not every child participates in sports.

You've got some math problems!  The family has to be richer or the kids go to public school.  Private schools are super expensive.  On the rest, if you have to have 7 kids in the story, you need to limit it to one sport.  There will be 7 kids with games and practices and even with just one sport per kid, this will be very difficult to coordinate.  If you give them 2 each, the parents will end up in a mental unit.  

What isn't reasonable is to call a family middle class who sends 7 children to private schools.  Where I come from private schools cost at least $25k to $30k per year per student and I know for a fact that is on the low end of examples.  Thus the middle class family income would spend $175,000 on school tuition alone and likely need to make another $200k to support the rest of the family needs.  Thus the parents would need to make $375k a year minimum putting them amongst the 1% top income bracket.  Thus I suggest you change the story so the kids go to public school.

Yes, limiting the number of sports played is reasonable for both the purpose of money and time, with time being the more important factor considering the difficulty for the parents to be supportive of their children's athletics with the small amount of free time they have and still have some time to themselves and money towards the future of the family and parents in their retirement.

Reasonable to who? It's your story, how are any of us going to know what's realistic?  Especially when you've given us very little useful information. Where in the world are they? Middle class means different things in different places. How old are these 7 children, are they multiples or singles? Even if they don't participate in sport, most children have extra circular activities, so why just limit that?

• y

Realistic is subjective.  Sports and activities take more time as the kids get older, so age plays a factor in what you are trying to do. I know parents that allowed their kids to play multiple sports and activities. Of course, they were always missing practices and such for on or another, due to needing to be at one of the other ones. Those kids, as they got older, grew greater dislike from their peers. It was not fair to the tea or the other kids. Yes, they lived in chaos, always running from one to another.  I found one sport and one activity was a much better balance, but only if they did not conflict with each other. If they did, something had to give. Sports they had to stick with for that season, activities for that year that they ran.