Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 2 months ago

When I learn to program, do I have to remember everything? Does it bother me to look somewhere, even if I understand the logic?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • EddieJ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

When you are working, you aren't taking a closed-book exam, and, even in school, many programming courses have open-book exams, because it's NOT about memorization.

But, why are you concerned?  Do you have such concerns in every course you have taken?

Do you eat enough asparagus?

• 2 months ago

No.  When on the job, programmers are often looking things up. Professional programmers used to have a bunch of books in their offices. Sometimes, they would borrow a book. Now, a lot of the information they need is online.

• i + i
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The more you remember, the better you 

will be... but the real-world environment 

rarely penalizes you for not remembering... 

quite easy to look things up in a reference 

manual or online. 

• BigE
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I never start from scratch, either I have an old program that has parts I need or I can find something online.  Do I remember the exact syntax?  Rarely.

Sometimes I will write some type of standard thing to parse options and arguments.

What happens is you have the same style and you just plug and play.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lv 7
    2 months ago

you need to write code. A LOT OF CODE!

then you need to test that code, and troubleshoot it to be sure it all does what you expect it to.

you don't have to be PERFECT, but then you DO need to be patient and diligent enough to troubleshoot problems as they arise...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.