Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 2 months ago

When I learn to program, do I have to remember everything? Does it bother me to look somewhere, even if I understand the logic?

• EddieJ
    Favorite Answer

When you are working, you aren't taking a closed-book exam, and, even in school, many programming courses have open-book exams, because it's NOT about memorization.

But, why are you concerned?  Do you have such concerns in every course you have taken?

Do you eat enough asparagus?

No.  When on the job, programmers are often looking things up. Professional programmers used to have a bunch of books in their offices. Sometimes, they would borrow a book. Now, a lot of the information they need is online.

• i + i

The more you remember, the better you 

will be... but the real-world environment 

rarely penalizes you for not remembering... 

quite easy to look things up in a reference 

manual or online. 

• BigE

I never start from scratch, either I have an old program that has parts I need or I can find something online.  Do I remember the exact syntax?  Rarely.

Sometimes I will write some type of standard thing to parse options and arguments.

What happens is you have the same style and you just plug and play.

• Lv 7

you need to write code. A LOT OF CODE!

then you need to test that code, and troubleshoot it to be sure it all does what you expect it to.

you don't have to be PERFECT, but then you DO need to be patient and diligent enough to troubleshoot problems as they arise...