Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 months ago

Carlito's Way or Scarface what was the better film?

Favorite Answer

Carlito's way is better

I preferred Scarface.

Honestly, it's hard to say because I think Scarface is kinda fatigued.

I would say Scarface. It's my favorite crime movie.

• Herve

Scarface is my favourite crime film so i'd say that one.

Scarface, I didn't even like Carlito's Way, and I couldn't take Sean Penn seriously with the curly hair and glasses, he looked ridiculous. 

Between the two I liked "Carlito." 

"Scarface" felt like a thrill ride that you knew was going to end in a spectacular disaster.  "Carlito" was more human to me, with a main character that sincerely wanted a better life but was incapable of escaping his past or overcoming his own flaws.

Made 10 years apart. I think both serve as good reflections of their decades.  Pacino in "Scarface" was all about the unbridled ambition, unapologetic excess and relentless pursuit of "upward mobility" that characterized the 1980s...and the epic shootout at the end seemed more like a fitting "climax" to a hedonistic orgy than a consequence paid for any misdeeds. 

In "Carlito" he was a guy that knew he was flawed and struggling to find his way in a world where rules of "right and wrong" were being rewritten.  The lines between the "old order" (represented by Italian gangsters and corrupt lawyers) and rising "new order" (represented by the hot-blooded Latin gangs) seemed a nod to the Boomers replacing the Cold War generation as "the establishment" ethic.