Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can I claim electricity on deductions?

So I just recently started working this job and we work on a hybrid schedule. A few days work at home and a few days in office. Can I claim a portion of electricity and internet bills when doing taxes?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

As a general rule, you can deduct the business percentage of your utility payments for heat and electricity, and for services that pertain to the entire house such as trash collection, security services, and maid or cleaning services. Lawn service payments do not qualify.

• 1 month ago

You only can claim space at home if you are self-employed and use a portion of the home exclusively for business. As an employee of another firm, kyou are not eligible.

• 1 month ago

No.  Next question plese.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

no..............................................

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If you are an employee, no.  The deduction for employee business expenses was eliminated by law.

If you are an independent contractor and qualify to claim the "home office" deduction, yes to electricity, but I'm not sure about Internet.

• 2 months ago

You couldn't claim electricity and internt as a deduction even if you worked from home 100% of the time.

• 2 months ago

Only if you work at home for the convenience of the employer, and then you have to have a dedicated space that is used only for work, and you can only deduct the portion of the bills equivalent to the portion of the space in reference to the whole home.  If you had a space that was 5% of the square footage of the home, you can deduct 5% of electricity, etc. 

• 2 months ago

Non-reimbursed employee expenses are not a deduction on taxes.

Is there a change in your electric bill since you work at home?  Probably not.

But you can ask your employer for internet and electricity reimbursement if you want. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.