Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Can I replace semolina with cornflour?

I made a delicious cake using semolina however I ran out of it, but I have cornflour. The measurement of semolina is 225g, can I replace it with cornflour for the cake?

• denise

It may not work, cornflour is a lot finer than the semolina, which has a more grainy texture. 

• Rita

It can be substituted for semolina flour in gluten-free baking and pasta making. Moreover, it can be used to thicken soups and stews. ... People who follow a gluten-free diet can replace semolina flour with amaranth flour, corn semolina, garbanzo flour, quinoa flour, and rice flour, in most recipes.

• kswck2

Semolina flour is a whet flour, while obviously, cornflour is made from corn. So the texture will be a bit different and I would suspect that the semolina will make the cake heavier and more dense. 

An analysis of the legal factors considered in a child endangerment case. ... Child endangerment occurs whenever a parent, guardian, or other adult caregiver allows a child to be placed or remain in a dangerous, unhealthy, or inappropriate situation.

Yes, you should be able to substitute corn flour for semolina flour with little change in the texture or taste of your cake recipe, especially if the recipe calls for wheat flour as well. If your recipe calls for semolina that is not finely ground, then you could substitute cornmeal.

• Janet

You can, but I have no idea if you will like the result.

Semoline is a type of wheat flour .. cornflour comes from corn.  The two act and taste very different.

It's going to have a really heavy texture and be crumbly