Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

I got Laid-Off without Notice?

In March 2020 when Covid hit Ireland I got Laid Off from my job without any notice. The manager let go 3 people. He told me there isn't enough hours for me and he can't afford to keep me on. (Retail Job)

He asked the other 2 staff members to come back to work who he also laid off due to Covid-19 but they said No because they were fortunate to get new full time jobs. 

He never asked me to come back and shortly after letting us go he hired new staff members. 

I'm feeling kinda mugged off that he left me with the intention he would ask me to come back when things were back to normal. That it was just temporary. 

• ?

In a layoff situation that is not covered by the WARN Act, the employer is not required by federal law to give any notice. ... If the reason for the layoff is economic, employees will usually experience immediate employment termination.

• Maxi

Lots of people were/are in exactly the same boat, it isn't just you....  and the reality is the employer 'let you go' as he didn't need you nor want you back ...and that was a year ago, so of course you have applied for and got a new job, so move on https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/u...

• ?

No one knows if / when things will normalize, it may be a few more months or a few more years. You can always try contacting him and as why you weren't asked to come back. 

I think you should start looking for another job. If you have to file for unemployment. 

• n2mama

I’m sorry that the pandemic affected you in this way and that you feel this way about it. Since you didn’t ask a question, I’m not sure what else you are looking for. Good luck in your job search.

It's got to feel weird that this happened.

It looks like you have to step up your game on finding a new job.