Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 2 months ago

Can I get off SSI disability without losing SSDI ?

I work part time and at this point in time SSI is more of a aggravation than it is worth it with dealing back payments or over payment and having to repay them back.

As of right now I might owe SSI over $2,000 and they still don't know if I have to pay them back or not and the idiocy of it is I can't have more than $2,000 between my checking and savings so I had to spend it to keep my income below the $2,000 limit. 

I have the same thing going. Because of back problems, sitting or standing all day is impossible. But I can do this for maybe 3 1/2 hours  a day. They told me a long time ago, that quitting one could cause me to lose the other.

BUt that was a long time ago. Since then, I never tried it again. I work part- time at a dry cleaner's, folding clothes. But this is cash.

Source(s): Been on SSI and SSDI for 40 years. I was told the same thing about $2,000.