Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

When did this happen? When did Democrats -- who remained steadfastly vigilant in defense of Free Speech -- turn 180 degrees? And how did...?

...they justify a complete and absolute reversal of position? 

Update:

Elwood: Liberals have always known -- probably better than many conservatives -- that the solution to bad speech is...MORE speech. Bad ideas and thoughts are EASILY and MOST effectively defeated with GOOD ideas and thoughts. NEVER by silence. Never.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeff D
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, it used to be that whatever else liberals did, you could at least count on them to stand up for free speech.

I can remember when the ACLU defended the right of Neo-Nazis to march in Skokie, Illinois.  Can anyone even imagine that they'd do that today?  I sure can't.

Liberals used to think that the Hollywood blacklist was wrong too (when the entertainment industry refused to employ suspected communists).  Now they're fine with social media banning conservatives (because they're just private companies maximizing shareholder return--nothing to see here, I guess).

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Since the 2008 implosion unleashed mass inequality that had been building up since Bush juniors trickle down economics which obviously didn't work, unless his cronies getting richer is the definition!

Why do regimes fear speech? 

From history it can be seen  what happens to tbose regimes who fail to deliver!

Dustbin of history awaits those regimes who think their mission is to enforce servitude!

Democrats adopt identical economic policies as the republicans, in order to worship at the feet of the donations from the billionaires - BUT their sales pitch has to be vastly different in order to attract working class voters.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michelatindera/2021/0...

As mass inequality becomes unsustainable as under King Louis (madame guillotine greeted him), protests become inevitable!

Hence addressing free speech is the perfect cover for culling protests.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They got to speech limited to what they want people to hear and not it's ok not to let anyone else talk.

• 2 months ago

when republicans started to think free speech meant saying anything about anybody  even if they knew it to be a lie without believing there should be consequences

remember trump threatening news agencies he didn't like

i think you need to check your history

• 2 months ago

We have never been free to falsely shout "fire" in a crowded theater.

But if you're talking about Facebook & Twitter, that's just businessmen maximizing stockholder return.  Are you saying capitalism is a bad thing?  Want more regulation?  BTW, I have no problem with cancelling users who threaten harm onliine.  Is that speech you want to protect?

• 2 months ago

This is why people are afraid to say anything in the workplace.  Actually, it wasn't like this when Trump was president.  But now that Biden is president, ever notice more people are getting fired for something they said?  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I support freedom of speech and a free society, don't mistake me for a neoliberal or antiwhite idiot. we on that killuminati sh##. the elite will not prevail over the people. the left and right, liberal and conservative are false dichotomies to divide us.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

This hasn't happened. Who's lying to you?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.