Risks Associated with Omeprezole ?

I am a 26 year old male who is relatively fit and active.

Recently, I have developed a severe case of acid reflux. My doctor prescribed Omeprezole 20mg once a day for three weeks.

I did some research on this medication and I've read that it can damage kidneys (kill kidney cells and lead to magnesium deficiency).

Should I be concerned about taking this medication for three weeks? Are the risks minimal? I am a little worried about this treatment option.

Thanks. 

• Sky
    Favorite Answer

Talk again with your doctor about your concerns.  I've been taking 20mg Omeprazole every day since 2010 and I have no problems with my kidneys, and my annual blood test shows everything normal.  I started seeing a new doctor last year and we talked about it again as a part of our getting acquainted and discussing my health history.  He said the only real concern with taking it daily for so long is a chance of some mild heart symptoms when I'm older, like in my 60s or so, and if I remember right he said the odds were very low and would be little more than an arrhythmia or something.  So definitely talk with your doctor if you need to stay on this medication long term.  A 3-week course is nothing to be concerned about.

It's the Zantac that got pulled from the shelves that was causing the major health issues (cancer, I think).  I took that briefly a long time ago and it didn't do a thing for me, so I went back to the omeprazole.

The kidney injuries are from long term use.

A 3 week course has very little risk.

• Tavy

I have been taking one a day for over 10 years. No problem, nor has anyone else I know.

The internet says there is a risk with every med, every food, every drink now the vaccine.

Ignore it all and take it.

U.K.