Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

I was crashed into 3 years ago, I put in a claim, now it’s going to trial, I’m scared!!?

3 years ago I was sat In a hire car eating my lunch in a McDonald’s car park  (we were on holiday hence the hire car) a lady crashed into the back of us and said she accidentally pressed the accelerator instead of the break, she had a very small child maybe 2-3 standing up on the passenger seat In her car who fell off the seat, I got out of my car to take pictures and told her I’d just get a pen and paper and we can swap details, I opened my car door to lean in and grab a pen and when I stood back out she was driving away, I quickly took a picture and got her number plate. There was minor damage to both cars. I put in a claim, she’s saying I was threatening towards her so she left and I’d told her I didn’t want her details. I put in a whiplash claim as it spoilt the rest of my holiday, I did see a doctor and was diagnosed with whiplash, I needed physio for it for weeks and weeks, now she’s saying there is no way could I have been hurt as she was travelling 3mph, I doubt she was going that slow or else my car wouldn’t have been shunted forward the way it was, I’m scared about this trial and she keeps making offers to my solicitor for me to drop the case now before I loose in court. My solicitor said she advises against dropping now we have got this far and that the other party is clearly stressed and worried about how much she will have to pay compensation. Has anyone else had a very similar situation? How did it turn out? 

• ?

You have zero to worry about because the FACTS are on your side. .

I.) She hit your parked car from behind.

2.) She engaged in hit and run activity when she left the scene of an accident . That is evading responsibility. Let's pretend you did threaten her. She could have very well contacted the police a block away from the accident. But, she didn't. 

3.) Her actions scream GUILT.

4.) You have documented medical records from the injuries incurred from the accident. 

You will have no problem winning this case unless your lawyer is an incompetent idiot.

no reason to be scared unless you faked the injury..which you clearly describe you did....

Sounds like there was no damage to the car

This is why I always say the brits, ausies and Canadians should have their own social media. Not only is the legal system different in each country, but so is the social culture and  language disparities etc. I have no idea what this person is talking about

Just chill out and tell the truth, you did Nothing wrong

I can’t read all that 

Mine was a much bigger case and it work out fine. I would leave it alone and not settle, because if she's making offers she admitting guilt. Best to leave your case open for the max amount of time which is seven years I believe. Definitely listen to whomever is advising you, and ask them the questions you need further answers to. 

You will be fine, it's actually a small case, and I'm surprised that both her and your insurance company didn't work this out, and that it actually went as far as going court. Nothing bad will happen. Don't forget that you have medical records, and all she has is what she thinks. 

You put in a whiplash  claim because it ruined your day, not because your neck or back was in agony??  Why are you afraid, unless you were lying. 

ABSOLUTE BS. If what you claim happened, the rental company and her insurance company would have settled AT LEAST 2 1/2 years ago and no trial would be involved.

Note: Her insurance would have paid your claim in a heartbeat BEFORE her criminal trail for leaving the scene.

• blank

Sorry to hear you are going through this.   Hang in there.

LISTEN to your solicitor!!  Clearly the other side knows THEY will lose and are just trying to scare you into settling. 

Unfortunately no on on here, even with a "similar" case can help you: ONLY the FACTS in your case, along with applicable case law in your area (which your solicitor should know or be able to research for you) will matter.

Good luck.  IF you have not embellished for stretched the fact here, it sounds like you are on solid legal ground and will probably be okay.